Men’s mental health statistics in Australia are un-Australian, according to Sam Parker. This week we learn all about his charity based around looking after your mates and taking a proactive approach to your own mental health.
Each Wednesday join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
This week we talk to Sam Parker, Founder of Grab Life by The Balls. The name is an attention grabber – and Sam says that’s the whole point. Grab Life by The Balls is a charity that aims to make a positive difference to men’s mental health, and is different to crisis and prevention. We chat about how Grab Life by The Balls is making its way into the mining industry and Sam’s journey to doing something he’s so passionate about.
Grab Life by The Balls provide real and relatable support in three ways:
- They run grassroots events that emphasise mateship and connection.
- Planning a world record attempt for The World’s Biggest BBQ in 2020.
- Providing programs designed for individuals and teams to empower them to take control of their lives, unearth their own motivation and live happier lives.
Full Production has also recently welcomed Grab Life by The Balls on as a charity partner and you will now find their information on fullproduction.com.au. We’ll help keep you in the loop on upcoming events and updates with this awesome organisation.
We also discussed:
- What Grab Life by The Balls does and how they do it.
- The importance of watering the whole garden of your life.
- The roots of modern mental health issues.
- Mental health in the mining industry.
- How to realise your bigger purpose.
- Finding alignment in your work life and getting in a flow state.
- Putting what you earn and have in life in perspective.
- The danger of lacking purpose.
- Sam’s backstory and how he grew up, his early mentors and how he became a chiropractor.
- How Sam discovered what his values were and how Grab Life by The Balls came out of that.