There’s always room for change and progression. When you come across someone who embraces the new evolutionary stages of the mining industry with intrigue and determination, you can’t help but feel excited about the future.
Each Wednesday, join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
On Full Production this week I’m catching up with a long-time friend of mine, Declan Franzmann. Declan has been a part of the mining industry for 25+ years. He is currently the vice president of Black Mountain Metals, a metal mining company specializing in fronting projects from development into production. He has a wealth of experience in the mining industry, from being at the coalface, to mine re-openings and planning.
Our conversation really delves into his mining background, touching on how his great-great-great grandfather was a mining pioneer, as well as discussing the changing industry, the global market for metals and how that could affect mining across Australia.
Our chat covers a lot of ground including:
- Developing mining sites and communities abroad
- His education and the different paths it led him down
- Staying on site and the diverse characters you meet
- FIFO, and Declan’s mining trips to Chile
- Working on large mining projects, and overcoming obstacles
- Declan’s air legging days, and his fond memories
- How electric vehicles are going to mean big business for miners
- Why there is currently a lot of uncertainty in the mining community
- Dealing with the anxieties of business stability.