The mining industry is constantly changing, but who looks after the direction of change and what it means for miners? This week we find out more about who the key players are and Austmine’s role as a catalyst for change, collaboration, and innovation in the Australian METS sector.
Each Wednesday join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
Our guest this week is Christine Gibbs Stewart, CEO of Austmine. Austmine is a major industry body for the Australian Mining Equipment, Technology and Services sector. Christine has spent more than 30-years building a career in international business and industry development. She has extensive experience working with Australian and international governments on industry and economic development programmes.
We talk about how the Austmine creates value for their members, including uncovering opportunities, driving strategic innovation and collaboration across the industry. Their vision is for Australia to be the leader in innovative and smart mining solutions.
We also discussed:
- The Austmine Conference and reflecting on the event earlier this year.
- Austmine’s partnership with Qatar Airways.
- Increasing collaboration in mining.
- Being open about problems in mining organisations and getting help from the industry.
- Chris’s career background and how she got involved in the METS sector.
- Christine’s journey from growing up in the United States to building a life in Australia.
- Advice for people working in the mining industry and feeling stuck.
- Reframing your thinking around work-life balance.
- Austmine’s METS career pathway programme.
- Upcoming mining industry events and how you can get involved.
- Admitting when you’ve made mistakes.
Interested in learning more about becoming an Austmine member? You can get in touch by calling their Sydney office at 02 9357 4660 or apply online on Austmine’s website.