Some of the best lessons in life are the ones you can go back to and learn from them again and again.
Each Wednesday, join Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as he navigates the ups and downs of the industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in anyway — whether you’re a lifer or a high school student looking to make the leap — Full Production is the perfect podcast for you.
In today’s episode of Full Production I catch up with a good mate of mine and someone that I see as the future of mining, Barry Harris. Barry’s experience within the mining industry includes both operational and technical roles in coal and metalliferous mining operations. His current role as the Chief Operating Officer of New Century Resources, focuses on leading the Company in all facets of the restarting of operations, establishing Century as a significant world zinc producer.
Barry shares with us his upbringing in Zimbabwe and living through the Mugabe regime and how that underpins his success today. We talk about how being relatable helps to manage a mining crew, why working on the ground teaches you the how and why of a mine site and how setting your business’s core values on the outset can set you up for success well into the future.
We also dig deep into:
- How Full Production is bridging the gap for workers, mine supervisors and managers
- Why having a sustainable business is important
- Maximising assets for a stable core in business
- The way the mining industry has changed through the years
- Creating advocates for the mining industry to attract new talent
- Why a job is not just about money, it’s also about how it makes you feel and what you achieve
- How changing the perception of the mining industry is imperative for its future
- Barry’s formative years in life and mining