There’s a certain type of person whose passion, enthusiasm and belief can really bring a place to life. So too with an industry like mining. Ashok Parekh is definitely one of those people.
Each Wednesday, join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
Ashok is another one of those great Kalgoorlie-Boulder characters that we’ve done a bit of a series on recently. Ashok’s is truly one of those stories of pulling yourself up from your bootstraps and working your way to great success.
From losing his mother in Ireland at four-and-half years old, to arriving in Kalgoorlie as a penniless young man, to becoming one the city’s most prominent business people. Today, he’s owner of a thriving accounting practice, a publicly listed mining company and a couple of hotels, just for starters.
It’s an inspiring tale, and one full of great advice and thoughts for anyone starting out, moving on, or moving up in the mining world.
Here’s some of what we unearth in this episode:
- Ashok’s early journey from Dublin boarding school at 4½ to a new life in Kalgoorlie
- Why you should never forget where you came from
- Kicking off his own accounting firm in Kal.
- Selling the benefits of Kalgoorlie (lots of jobs and inexpensive housing, for a start)
- Thoughts on mining, politics and what needs to be done
- How Kalgoorlie and mining is evolving and what the future looks like
- Thoughts on starting and running a publicly listed company
- Thoughts on investing in mining opportunities
- Why he’s so excited about mining and Kal. In particular
- His passion for sports and his incredible memorabilia collection