A career in mining offers some amazing opportunities and we love to hear stories about where people’s careers have taken them. This week we continue our chat with Kim Eales and he shares with us how he managed to keep the spirit of adventure alive while working a FIFO role.
Each Wednesday join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
Our guest in this two-part series is Kim Eales, founding member of Resolution Systems and Principal Mining Integration for MaxMine.
He has 10 years’ experience in the mining sector, journeying from an operations leader in Rio Tinto to implementing Resolution Systems flagship product, MaxMine. Our interview took place at the Austmine 2019 conference earlier this year.
In the previous episode with Kim, we talked about MaxMine, the new technology that helps site teams identify improvements and productivity increases in surface mining haul fleets. We also discussed the importance of speaking up on site and some powerful stories on this from Kim. Catch part one of this interview here.
In this part of the interview, we dive deeper into Kim’s backstory and his early days working a FIFO roster in Perth, and how that experience has influenced his journey.
- New developments happening with MaxMine and when we can expect more information.
- Kim’s recent travels and talking on family life while on the road.
- Looking at mental health on mine sites from a management level.
- How MaxMine handles data and the difference between other platforms.
- Kim’s passion for travel and adventure and where this stems from.
- Stories of Kim’s adventures around Australia while working a FIFO roster.
- How Kim’s travels led to him living on a boat for two years.
- Kim’s thoughts on human capital in mining operations.
- Conscious mining – how well we respect the resources, land, people, and cultures involved in the mining industry.
- Good old footy and what we can learn from Wayne Bennett’s management style