Preventing breakdowns in mining operations goes further than machinery and equipment. This week we continue our chat with Gerard Wood and dive into why teams are at the core of any project outcome.
Each Wednesday, join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
Our guest in this two-part series is Gerard Wood, Managing Director of Bluefield Asset Management and the author of Simplifying Mining Maintenance. He has plenty of value to add to any mining operation with more than 30 years in the industry.
In the previous episode with Gerard, we talked about his journey – from growing up in Muroomba to a global career, why Gerard decided to write a book, and the importance of maintenance to the overall mining operation. Catch part one of this interview here.
In this part of the interview, we talk about the inner workings of Bluefield Asset Management and Gerard shares some good lessons in building a team.
We also discussed:
- The Bluefield Asset Management team and how it came to be
- The importance of looking after your team
- Gerard’s experience building a team culture
- The human side of work-life
- How to have tough conversations
- What Gerard enjoys most about his job
- Enabling people to take pride in their work
- Implementing systems in business
- Communication as a key element to project success